Coronis Health works with many prominent mental health treatment facilities nationwide serving adult and adolescent populations rendering inpatient and outpatient levels of care.
Our experience, global capabilities, and industry-leading technology innovation means we are able to handle a variety of facilities.
Behavioral health issues affect millions of adolescents and adults in the United States with about 1 in 5 adults, aged 18 or older, having a mental illness. In 2014, of the nearly 44 million adult Americans with a mental illness, only about 45%, or 19.4 million, received mental health services in the past year. (Source: SAMHSA 2020)
What is Mental Health Medical Billing?
Medical billing involves claims submissions for the healthcare services provided to patients. Due to the specialty’s complex nature, medical billing for behavioral health may be more complicated than other healthcare specialties. Therefore, it is essential to equip your billing department with the right information, tools, and resources to allow your healthcare facility, whether treating mental health, substance abuse, or eating disorders, to continue delivering patient care.
How is Mental Health Billing Different from Traditional Medical Billing?
The diagnosis and treatment surrounding mental health are quite challenging to grasp, yet they comprise crucial elements in a patient’s overall health. The way psychiatrists and counselors provide services, therefore, is greatly different from the ways other healthcare professionals provide care. Furthermore, the mental health field lacks a standardized process as compared to other practices. One reason for that is the many types of services available. The majority of behavioral healthcare is spent on therapy sessions, and insurance companies take note of the number of sessions that take place in a day and how long each session lasts. This makes it more challenging for providers to balance their treatments with an efficient and adequate billing system.
Budget constraints, lack of dedicated staff to update billing codes for behavioral health, insurance requirements, and changes in regulations results in high claim denial rates. Therefore, all the rules and financial demands make mental health billing a much different process than traditional medical billing systems.
Most Common Medical Codes for Mental Health
The following are the most common psychotherapy codes for psychologists as indicated by the American Psychological Association:
- 90791 – Psychiatric diagnostic evaluation without medical services.
- 90834 – Psychotherapy, 45 minutes with patient
- 90837 – Psychotherapy, 60 minutes with patient
- 90846 – Family psychotherapy (without the patient present), 50 minutes
- 90847 – Family psychotherapy (conjoint psychotherapy) (with patient present), 50 minutes
- 90853 – Group psychotherapy (other than of a multiple-family group) 90839 – Psychotherapy for crisis; first 60 minutes
*Billed for the first 60 mins of psychotherapy for a patient in crisis and add-on code 90840 billed for each additional 30 mins.
What Coronis Health Services are Available for Mental Health Clinics?
- Facility Credentialing: Our goal is to manage every step of the process to achieve the fastest and largest payment possible.
- Benefits Verification: The Coronis Health VOB system is the fastest, easiest way for you to get benefits verification on your potential patient.
- Utilization Review: Beyond just being licensed, the UR Team brings years of real industry successes to lobby for the care your clients need.
- EMR/Technology Integration: Our extensive investment in our technological systems has set us apart from our competitors.
- Collections: Working from years of experience, Coronis Health’s collections team will sift through your aged receivables that are more than 100 days old and up to 365 days old.
- Financial Analysis & Reporting: Our power reporting not only guarantees higher collection rates but also provides the information and technology that help you run your business.
- Account Management: Our broad follow-up scope will handle any issues that may arise. It is through this deep partnership that we can deliver our complete set of services, which integrate smoothly with your staff.
- Billing Services: From chart audits to the review of your billing and collections data, we can provide a specific, tailored recommendation and report.
- Best of the Best in Behavioral Health Billing: Coronis is comprised of the top medical billers in the country pooling their global resources to bring customers the best in medical billing and revenue cycle management. We offer customers tailored solutions and high-touch relationships you won’t find at a “Big Box” medical billing company.
- EMR/Technology Integration: We are fully integrated with Kipu so we can pull a patient census, input coding instantly, and execute collections fast and efficiently. And because of our complete transparency, you’ll know precisely how your numbers look and how they affect your business.
- Focused On Your Financial Success: We make sure your facility is 100% compliant and can receive patients and bill in- or out-of-network. We verify benefits so you can make certain patients are covered for the care they need. Coronis goes after the last dollar using our seasoned team of tireless and tough negotiators. You’ll receive timely, relevant, and accurate information in a way you can understand. We don’t help you just get money. We help you financially grow.
- Personalized Touch: We understand how to help your facility succeed. You aren’t just a number; you’re on a first-name basis and a phone call away. With our transparency guarantee, you see what we see. We deliver clear and digestible reports and allow you to make the best decisions for your facility.
What Our Mental Health Medical Billing Service is Like
At Coronis Health, we understand that medical billing and collections are critical to the survival and growth of a medical facility. Our medical billing and revenue cycle services help you optimize your revenue cycle and increase cash flow by identifying and capturing missed revenue. We recognize the tremendous need for your services, and we will make it our mission to assist practices like yours in achieving your financial goals.
With over 100+ years of combined experience in providing medical billing service, our team of experts knows billing and coding for mental health treatment facilities. Not only do we take care of billing, but Coronis Health also works to improve every part of your revenue cycle. Our forward-thinking team looks below the surface, identifying and helping you fix the workflow issues that negatively affect your reimbursements, including the front desk, provider medical coding, practice management (PM) system optimization, and extensive denials management.
We use our proprietary medical billing and coding review software designed to track claim status, allowing us to improve your first-pass rate drastically. And by identifying medical billing trends, future denials stop at the source, and your facility can collect every dollar you deserve. Our medical billing software works independently of your practice management (PM) system, meaning there is no need to change your current PM system. Coronis Health is well versed in many of the top PM systems.
Our high-touch approach features a knowledgeable, courteous, efficient, and dedicated customer service team. Our medical billing service experts will focus on efficiently running your business so that you can focus on providing patient care.
Signs Your Clinic Should Consider Outsourcing Your Medical Billing
Your team may be weighing all the factors and trying to determine the best approach to optimizing your revenue. If your practice is experiencing any of the following, it may be time to outsource medical billing services:
- Administrative strain: Your administrative staff may find medical billing to be time-consuming and stressful. The process is not only demanding when it comes to the constant training required to stay up to date with regulatory changes, but it also takes valuable time away from their other administrative duties.
- High employee turnover: Administrative strain may result in a high staff turnover, which can be very damaging to the billing department. The time and expenses needed to build and train your team constantly will waste your resources and delay claims processing.
- Poor payment collections: Poor cash flow results from inefficient coding and billing practices and reduced payments from insurance companies. Finding the root cause of the problem will require knowledge and skill in which your administrative staff may not be trained.
- Decrease in quality and time for patient care: Healthcare providers need sufficient time to deliver care to their patients, but with the demanding task of billing and coding, physicians are left with less time to spend with them.
Our high-touch approach features a knowledgeable, courteous, efficient, and dedicated team to support your mental health facility. Our staff will focus on your administrative tasks so that you can focus on providing patient care.