Behavioral Health Billing Services
Running a business is challenging. It can be difficult to take a step back and determine what's not working when you're in the middle of it. Coronis Health can help you determine the best path forward for your facility by giving you an outside perspective with insider expertise.
Our Behavioral Health billing experts deliver solutions to maximize your revenue cycle and reduce costs while increasing the value and effectiveness of your billing process.
Services Offered by Coronis Health:
- Revenue Cycle Assessment & Optimization
- Revenue Cycle Design Services
- Quality/Productivity Program Design
- Full-Service EBO
- Self-Pay Projects
- Insurance Projects
- System Conversion/Optimization
Behavioral Health Billing vs. Medical Billing
Medical billing for behavioral health is more complex than other healthcare fields, due to the services, restraints, time, and scope placed on behavioral health treatments.
A patient going for a routine medical checkup will undergo tests that are typically standard across all patients and will require the same amount of time to perform (e.g., checking height and weight, blood pressure, and possibly a blood draw). When providers bill for these services, the billing process is standardized and often bundled into one overall charge.
Counselors and therapists treat patients in a very different manner than other medical professionals. Behavioral health services will involve several factors, such as therapeutic approach, length of session, and location. Health insurers typically have specific requirements for the length and number of treatments provided. A behavioral health patient may have needs that exceed their insurance coverage.
These variables make it challenging to balance an effective treatment plan with adequate and timely reimbursement. Mental health practices are typically small facilities with limited administrative support. This often forces physicians to do the burdensome task of medical billing themselves.
The Benefits of Outsourcing Medical Billing Services for Behavioral Health Facilities
For many behavioral health facilities, billing services are an effective way to preserve and grow their financial resources. Specifically, services from a behavioral health billing company provide benefits such as:
- Increased Efficiency – The ability to automate tasks results in quicker processing and payment. Instead of waiting months to process a paper claim, a digital system that flawlessly files claims prepared by a skilled coder can be completed in a matter of days.
- Reduced Administrative Burden – Relying on in-house revenue cycle management can result in an administrative burden for your staff. Outsourcing hands over these important tasks to a team of expert billers, helping you focus your attention on your patients.
- Reduced Billing Errors – Advanced billing software will reduce or eliminate billing errors that result in delayed payments. Accurate billing will also improve your data for analysis.
- Automated Verification Process – Improper verification frequently results in claims denial. Billing services can help improve your accuracy and save time on processes that are better managed by an automated system. More importantly, you won’t need to invest resources in keeping your staff up to date on coding practices.
- Boost Profitability – Billing services can reduce a facility’s operating costs and improve cash flow. Expert billers find the best solutions to getting payments, while minimizing strain on your facility and staff.
- Focus on Healthcare – Billing services optimize your system and processes, giving you more time to focus on what matters most –your patients.
What to Look For When Outsourcing Your Medical Billing
Who you choose as a medical billing partner will significantly impact your financial health. Consider these factors when choosing a team of billing experts:
- Expertise – You want billers with expertise in behavioral health to ensure correct billing. You will have billing and coding challenges unique to your facility and specialty, and this means you will need someone who knows your facility’s coding, compliance, and documentation requirements.
- Reputation – Partner with a company that has a proven track record. Do your research and ask trusted colleagues for referrals.
- HIPAA Compliant – You have a direct responsibility to address healthcare privacy and security. By outsourcing to an experienced company with HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliance, you get peace of mind knowing that the company’s practices ensure the confidential handling of a patient’s mental health information.
- Transparency – Since it is still your business, you need to keep track of the numbers. Your billing specialist should provide you with regular and transparent reports that reflect what they’ve been handling on your behalf.
Making the Transition to Outsourcing Behavioral Health Medical Billing: Key Considerations
When choosing to outsource your Behavioral Health billing, you need to establish your needs, scope, and strategic goals to make the transition seamless. You must be able to answer the following questions when considering outsourcing:
- What should stay in-house? – It is possible to retain some aspects of billing internally. Determine which areas you’d like to keep in-house, and your billing partner should be able to adapt their services to your needs and preferences.
- How much billing support do you need? – Do you need 24/7 assistance? Have a specific billing model in mind before pursuing a vendor contract.
- What are your facility and revenue goals? – Your medical billing service provider can only serve you well if they have a complete understanding of your objectives and circumstances.
- How will outsourcing affect your patients? – Since patients are your top priority, think about how outsourcing might affect their experience with your facility.
Outsourcing Your Behavioral Health Billing Services: Why Coronis Health Is the Perfect Choice
At Coronis Health, we offer free 1:1 consultations and provide you a customized report with appropriate recommendations. We offer medical billing services to facilities looking to improve their RCM, reduce overhead, and increase collections.
Coronis Health uses industry-leading technology combined with high-touch relationship-building to allow behavioral health facilities to focus on patient care, maintain financial independence, and cultivate financial success. With more than 30 years of experience in practice and revenue cycle management, Coronis Health is ready to assist in evaluating your processes and workflows.
Our billing experts will evaluate billing, reimbursement, and compliance operations at all levels. Our team can deliver solutions that help you maximize your revenue cycle and optimize efficiencies to reduce costs while increasing the value and capabilities of your billing function.
Questions About Behavioral Health Billing Services? Contact Coronis Health Today!
Outsourcing your medical billing is one of the most significant practice management decisions your facility will ever make and also one of the most rewarding. To learn more, contact Coronis Health to request your free financial checkup.